Sunday, April 3, 2011

Gays Like Brunch, by Rock

First of all, a very happy belated Opening Day to all of our readers! A bigger deal than Christmas and my birthday combined, I hope that your teams (both real and fantasy) are doing as well as mine.

First of all, I'm not sure how long Scrubs is going to be in the picture, if at all. We had been texting a bit what with baseball starting (my team started off wonderfully, his did not) and realized we were both going to be out on Friday.

But then as a text he did something that drives me crazy. He called me "bud." Bud is what I call someone if I'm trying to assert that I just see them as a friend even though they might have a crush. Bud is what I call my buds. Bud is not a cute nickname for boys I like. It confuses me when guys use it as such. So I made a joke out of it: "Bud? Have I crossed into the friend zone already?" His response: "Look BUDDY. If you're going to be like that than YES. I'll be by you guys soon. Keep in touch." I don't think he was actually annoyed, I think he was just playing along. I said I was just checking because I thought he was adorable. He said he was going to come buy us shots.

My friend had to get up early and we actually didn't get to meet up. I haven't heard from him since, and I think I will wait to hear from him before moving forward with him. My read is that he is busy in med school, and wants something super super casual. Something in theory I want, but in practice don't do well at. I want to be involved on some level, even if I don't get to see you very often.

And then I went out with the dental student on Saturday for brunch. We're going to call him Charlie, because we talked Survivor for a lot of the date and he reminds me of Charlie from a few seasons back a little bit.

The whole date was a bit of a blur because of my sinus medication. Seriously this spring is trying to kill me.

Charlie is not exactly my type. A little shorter than me and super super skinny. No muscles. I could tell that he shaved his chest and I'm almost positive he was wearing some make-up.

That being said, he was still a guy. Not super fem. We have a lot in common, whether the afore-mentioned Survivor love or how seriously we took high school. The conversation was flowing, and by the end of the meal we had put in our calendars that we would watch Survivor together Wednesday night when I got off of work.

HERE'S THE THING. He had mentioned in our OKCupid messages and I was immediately suspicious. He not only lives in the same building but on the same floor as 2.0. He is friendly with 2.0, knows him by name, and says hi to him in the hallways and such. I played it off like 2.0 and I had an amicable friendly mutual ending (which is 90% true) and that it will be more funny than awkward if we run into him. But let me just say I am not looking forward to this. I am not going to lie. 2.0 is more attractive conventionally than Charlie and as bad of a person as I am, it will be a little awkward. But let's wait for that to actually happen and progress to the point where I am hanging out there before I worry about it. And really, I am 95% over 2.0 at this point. I just still would prefer if he didn't exist in my universe at all.

But the date went well, Wednesday is planned, we hugged goodbye on the busy daytime downtown street and we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who knows you IRL, I'll second the fact that you DON'T do well with casual. Med school is super-intense. It's likely your read is right and he doesn't want to be really involved. I'd say cut your losses.

    As for Charlie, I suggest you have noisy sex with him when you know 2.0 is home. Haha. Seriously, just let it unfold organically. Miranda's line from Sex and the City comes to mind: "We're over. You need to not exist." I too wish Excalibur lived in another country rather than the same city.

    ReplyDelete