Sunday, May 15, 2011

Open Arms and Prison Cells, by Doris

The past few days have been a bit rough, for various reasons. One of the bright spots? None other than Jim Berger.

I really thought we were done emailing, so I was pleasantly surprised to find a cute message from him in my in-box Saturday morning.

And very soon, I am going to take the initiative and step it up.

I had this big come to Jesus moment on Friday night. What the hell have I got to lose? Absolutely nothing.

Especially since his ex just put in her two weeks' notice.

If you've been keeping up with The Story of Jim Berger and His Ex Aka Doris' Friend, you know this was a BIG factor in my moving so slowly. Granted, he could also be hesitant about hooking up with yet another coworker. He could not be into me that way at all.

Or he could be your classic clueless straight guy.

Back in grad school, a friend (a straight guy himself) told me that straight guys can be inherently stupid when it comes to knowing a girl is interested. I remember my friend saying, "The only way I know for sure a girl is interested is if she tells me, and even then I'm like, 'What? You like ME? Really?'"

So I'm slowly starting to step it up a bit.

Yesterday, I invited him to a show Rock and I were attending that night. Now, I wasn't going to be surprised if he said no, because: a) this was really really short notice, b) the show was very late at night, and c) it was a drag show, which isn't exactly a big comfort zone for many straight guys. The invitation was just a casual, natural segue in our email conversation, so I figured why not?

I was pleasantly surprised to not only get a "maybe" (because he was going to be at a dinner party where a lot of alcohol would be served, and he wasn't sure if he'd be up to it by then), but a revelation that Jim Berger himself used to regularly dress in drag with his band.

Which is just badass, and is further proof I want him in my life, even if it's only platonic.

The thing is, I like being the one who's asked. That said, I've dealt with shy/clueless guys before, and I'm not great at waiting. I really don't want to pass up the opportunity for what could be a fun relationship or a great friendship. And I'm talking about sending a text and/or seeing if he wants to see a movie this week. Not sitting outside his apartment singing love songs.

He gave me his number, which in my experience guys don't do if they don't want you contacting them. Could be he is deliberately leaving the ball in my court to see what I will do.

So I'm going to text.

Worst case scenario: he politely rebuffs me, I'm embarrassed for a couple of days, then we move on and everything's back to normal.

Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. Labels love commas.

    I'm glad you're making a move. You've handled this crush a lot better than crushes in the past and it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: the labels, it's a new weird thing with Blogger. I noticed your last post had them too.

    Yeah, I'll ask at some point this week. It's time to shit or get off the pot. I'd say I don't think he's interested, but I just talked to a girlfriend who reinforced how clueless straight guys can be and gave me a recent example from her own experience.

    I feel mature about this. There's something there. Whether it will manifest outside the office remains to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to go to a drag show. There is this super hot drag king on youtube that I follow.
    Hope it goes/went well.
    Ever hear from Hunter? I totally would have texted instead of called. You have some serious balls. Props.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi SomeXsBlue! It's nice to hear from you again. :)

    Definitely go to a drag show sometime...with professional kings/queens if you can. I have been known to get crushes on the RuPaul's Drag Race ladies when they are men.

    It...sort of went. I'll post about it soon.

    No, I never heard back from Hunter--I sounded so stupid on the phone I'm not surprised (though honestly he didn't sound that great either). I called because Rock said it was appropriate to call. However, Rock is better on the phone than I. If I ever get another guy's number, he is getting a text. I'm just not a phone person.

    ReplyDelete