Monday, February 7, 2011

It's in his XOXO, by Rock

So 2.0 had the busiest work week of the year in New York then got stuck in the blizzard and then left the next day for Vegas. I've understandably had very little contact with him. One phone call. A few texts. I'm purposely not seeing him tonight (don't want to give him a "I'm super tired" excuse) and then we'll see each other tomorrow.

Why I'm concerned: even when he was recovering from surgery, even the first two weeks of his really busy month, I still got plenty of "good morning" and "good night" texts. They were filled with compliments and "xoxo"s. He also went so far as to tease me about all of the drunk dials I would get from him in Vegas.

I didn't get any. Okay. That's fine. I texted him to have a good trip on Friday, he responded very politely and matter-of-factly. I texted him on Saturday. Same story. I didn't text him on Sunday. He texted me when he got home just saying that he was home and he hoped I was having a good night.

Let's get one thing straight: I can handle getting a text that doesn't have "xoxo" in it. I can handle a text without a cute nickname. What is concerning me is the actual change in his semantics and calling and texting frequency. If it had started out like this, I would be fine. But if texts could have warmth, his used to and not they are friendly but a little cold. I would die for an "xoxo" text right now. Just one out of the last 20.

We'll need to talk on the phone at some point tonight to make plans for tomorrow. I plan to go in there tomorrow super happy to see him, super playful and fun, with no resentment for the past week. If he responds and things are great, then they're great and we'll move on. If he is off, then he's finally going to politely be called out on it. I'm also kind of expecting him to end it with me. Which at this point will be okay.

It makes me sad, because that first month was really something special. I don't know if we're victims of timing or circumstance or if he always falls quickly at the beginning and then quickly out. And I'm trying to remember that possibly everything will be fine and we maybe aren't victims at all. I'm a big planner, so it's very hard for me to go in without a plan or agenda, but I'm really really trying to just see how tomorrow goes. He was pretty special that first month and a half. I hope that 2.0 is back.

1 comment:

  1. I've said it before and I'll say it again: if this doesn't work out, I think it's more due to timing than anything else. From what you have told me, it sounds like 2.0 is still recovering from his previous relationship. As you and I both know, this can take a while and can affect your next relationship, even if it's with someone awesome and perfect.

    Whatever you do, don't blame yourself.

    ReplyDelete