Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentimes!, by Doris

This comes as a total shock to those who know me, but I really like Valentine's Day. Maybe it's just because I love red, pink, lace and chocolate, but I've got a lot of fun memories, romantic and not so much, associated with the Hallmark holiday.

When I think of Valentine's Day, the first memories that come to mind are of grade-school class parties. Not only was there free delicious food, but my school had an "everyone in the class gets a Valentine" policy, which might seem forced to some, but for misanthropes such as myself represented a second or two of goodwill from fellow students who were otherwise blockheads. (We'll ignore the Valentine's Day party of fourth grade, where I threw up my chili in the girls' room.)

The next memories are the more lovey ones. Often Excalibur and I didn't celebrate on the actual day. Usually one of us had something school-related or otherwise going on, so we went out to dinner or just exchanged Gummi Worms on an earlier or later date. One year he gave me a puppet shaped like a praying mantis and a homemade card. Which was really cute.

But what I associate more than anything with Valentine's Day is the fabulous Eve Ensler and her equally fabulous show The Vagina Monologues. For several years on or after Valentine's Day, I'd take part in an amazing play that raised money for a local women's shelter and awareness of the violence against women that pervades society and how we can help. Each of my involvements with V-Day were beautiful and rewarding, and THAT, guys and dolls, is what Valentine's Day means to me!

And now for the cynical portion of our broadcast.

I know there's a lot of anti-Feb 14th-ers out there, and with good reason: the holiday's crass, commercialized, and couples-heavy. So how 'bout some fun singleton videos to ring in Valentine's Day with a smirk?

First, we have Annie Lennox's "Walking on Broken Glass," the gorgeously-costumed tale of running into your ex who happens to be John Malkovich after you've married Hugh Laurie:



Second, Cee Lo Green and Gwyneth Paltrow team up with the Muppets to forget a former love:



And finally, who HASN'T wanted to get back at their boyfriend by fucking Matt Damon?


No comments:

Post a Comment