Friday, February 11, 2011

Flattered but Unsure, by Doris

A few years ago, I lost my job and decided to undergo a major career change. In the meantime, I did a seasonal stint at one of my favorite stores. Most of this time was spent ogling the ass of my douchey punk rock coworker who had a girlfriend. I really know how to pick 'em, huh?

So in the wake of the Russian fallout, I'm back on OKCupid and find this message:

Well, this is going to be either sweet or mildly creepy.

I was browsing and stumbled upon your profile...not sure if you remember me at all, but we worked together briefly at [store]. I don't think we spoke two words to each other, and reading in reading your profile, I simply didn't know a thing about you. Which is obvious, because we never talked.

Well....I did find you incredibly cute, and your book and film picks are excellent. If I didn't make myself out to be totally standoffish in my profile (which I think I did...I have to roll up my sleeves and do some editing), I'd love to hear back from you.

No, it's not from a now-single douchey punk rocker. (And it's kinda sad how I sort of hoped it was. What can I say? He's cute.)

Instead, it's from a guy who I believe still works at the store, which I frequent.

And I am flattered as all get-out.

I mean, he thought I was cute then? Damn! To put things in context for you, I was a good 15-20 pounds heavier, wore glasses (not that glasses can't be cute, but I look way better with contacts), and had a fashion sense that can only be described as Post Grad I Have No Idea What the Hell Looks Good Oh Look Cheap Polo Shirts! (Okay, maybe he means he finds me cute now, but I'd love to think someone found me cute then.) And honestly, this is one of the nicest messages I've ever gotten. It made my day. I'm not creeped out at all.

I only wish I were attracted to him. He's always been very professional and courteous when I've visited the store. In fact, he sent this about a month ago, so I wonder if he's been eyeing me since then when I've visited the store, wondering if I got the message or why I haven't responded.

And honestly, I'm not sure what to do here. I mean, like I said, I'm really flattered. He's one of those nice guys that if I had any sense I'd totally go after.

That said, I don't want to even have coffee. He's just not my type physically and I can't ever see it happening even in the short-term.

So what do I do? Send him a "you're really sweet but not my type" message? Ignore it? Whaddaya think?

1 comment:

  1. I think if he sent it a month ago and you haven't responded yet, he's probably interpreted that as a "no thanks". So you don't need to send him a message letting him that you don't want to go out with him, since he should have figured that out by now. And there has to be some level of physical attraction for it to work.

    ReplyDelete