Monday, January 10, 2011

A Lesson in Passive Aggressiveness, by Rock

2.0 was possibly going to visit me at work tonight. He didn't (which wasn't a big deal at all), and when he told me he wasn't via text, he said he would text me good night.

He didn't text me, and I got off after I was almost certain he was asleep.

So what did I do? I called him. He answered the phone very groggily.

"Hello?"
"Oh babe, did I wake you up?"
"Yeah..."
"Sorry! You said you would text good night and you hadn't yet, so I thought you were still awake and I could say good night."
"Oh sorry... I fell asleep a lot sooner than I thought I was going to. Did you have a good night?"
"Yeah but go to back to sleep. We'll talk tomorrow."
"Okay. Good night, babe."
"Good night. Sleep well."

Here's the thing. I don't expect a good night text every night or a good morning text every morning. That's psycho. But if you tell me you're going to do something, I expect you to do it. If you forget or something, I probably won't start an argument, but I will purposely wake you up "by accident" to prove a point.

I refuse to be the next person to make contact, but other than that, I won't bring it up again. It's not a big deal. I've made my point.

What is very funny is last night I promised to call when I woke up and then I slept in this morning... until he woke me up with a phone call. It wasn't explicitly stated, but I'm pretty sure he thought I forgot to call. So in the same day he did what he incorrectly thought I did.

I'm really good at being passive aggressive, and I own it.

Rock a few years ago? I would have started a conversation about all of this. Now I can just make my point and still sound sane and normal and caring.

Keyword: sound.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Rock. You taught me everything I know about passive aggression!

    And yeah, three years ago there woulda been phone calls and general freaking out.

    You handled this well, methinks. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a good morning text this morning apologizing again for falling asleep earlier than expected and forgetting to text. Mission accomplished! :)

    ReplyDelete