Sunday, January 23, 2011

What's in a word?, by Rock

This morning we were lying in bed, when I conversationally mentioned that my mom was trying really hard to find a way to meet him but I told her it wouldn't work when she was trying. He laughed and said that he wasn't ready to meet parents anyway. I told him that I had a different relationship with my parents than he did, and it wasn't really a big deal.

But then I kind of bristled. I brought up the comment he made. I brought up the fact that Facebook said he was single (though apparently he changed that a few days ago and I didn't notice). I brought up that he avoided the word "boyfriend" like the plague at all times. I said that I felt he thought we were moving too quickly.

He admitted that yes, he was worried, and yes, the "boyfriend" word came too quickly, that he still wasn't ready for it. I called him out on me giving him quite a few chances to get out of that (yes, that conversation happened drunk, but the next morning I gave him an out and I also brought up a few days later that I thought he wasn't okay with it). We got on the same page eventually. I'm not moving as quickly as he thought I was. He's moving as slowly as I thought he was and not as quickly as he said he was. He admitted his faults in the matter. I admitted my insecurities in the matter. We acknowledged that it had been a stressful week for him with work and I got to deal with that. We acknowledged that we both have different expectations, but in the end want the same thing.

It was horribly stressful. It was all calm and a discussion, but it was a lot. We agreed we were both very happy with where we were in the moment. We fooled around (finally), went for breakfast, went shopping, and had a few drinks before I went to work. By the end of the day, everything was good again. We agreed it actually felt better since we were on the same page.

Hopefully now, we can finally move forward and see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Good you had that conversation. I remember with one of my evil exes--a very brief thing in law school, but a thing nonetheless--I HATED the word "boyfriend" and didn't want to use it at all. It's more a semantics thing at times. Like now I still bristle at the word "relationship." :)

    And I know we've talked about this, but not everyone has the attachment to Facebook we do. My relationship status isn't even on my profile because I figure when I am dating someone, the "friends" who are my real-life friends will know about it. The important thing is he changed it eventually.

    ReplyDelete