Monday, January 10, 2011

It's All Good, by Doris


Image via Zeitgeist World
Recently, a reader complained to me about our blog's tagline: "a girl, her gay, and six months of online dating."

The complaint addressed the fact that no human being owns anyone else, so I most definitely do not own Rock, and therefore he is not "my gay."

Valid logic.

I will say that I've always hated the whole "gay boyfriend" trend, because I feel it's genuine friendships relegated to some kind of fashion accessory for a neurotic woman who can't get any. For this reason, I was never a fan of Will and Grace. Also, that new show Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys just looks insulting to me. Especially when the chick whines in the preview, "you're marrying another guy? It should be meeeeee!"

No.

Were I ever to get married, qualification #1 for my husband is WANTING TO HAVE SEX WITH ME.

For the record, Rock is my best friend. He's been my best friend since two years before he came out of the closet. He's my best friend because we share many passions and values, we have a similar worldview, and most importantly, we have a hell of a lot of fun together.

This is why all my friends are, in fact, my friends. Gay, straight, bi, whatever. I don't regard anyone as my accessory, and while I may be neurotic, that's neither here nor there.

(Plus, I can and do get some.)

Most of all, lovely readers--and we appreciate all of you, we just wish you'd comment more!--I want to assure you that our apparently controversial tagline?

Was the brainchild of none other than the "gay" in question.

Yup, it was Rock's idea.

5 comments:

  1. I don't get this criticism at all. I am your gay, as you are my straight girl. There is a part of us that belongs to each other. Not in a weird dependent way, but in a we'll always be friends, brother/sister kind of way.

    2.0 is my boyfriend. You would refer to him as "his boyfriend."

    I have two brothers. You would refer to them as "his brothers."

    We probably wouldn't have gotten the criticism if the tagline was "A gay, his girl, and six months of online dating" but that doesn't roll off the tongue as much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, "it should be me!" was a joke that came after 15 minutes of heckling by the director. So of course that's the take they used. In real life (as opposed to Reality life) Sarah has no interest in dating me and is completely, 100% supportive of me and Mike and getting married.

    (Just standing up for my friend.)

    That said, I was never a fan of Will and Grace either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel! Thanks for stopping by our blog! I know how manipulative reality TV show directors/producers are. I'm sure Sarah is a great friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joel! You are a good friend for standing up for Sarah.

    Ugh, that doesn't surprise me at all about the director heckling. Because the powers that be in reality TV WANT to perpetuate the gay guy/straight girl myths.

    Congrats to you and Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the congratulations!

    The weird thing is that the lives we were ACTUALLY leading were more interesting than the fake drama they tried to create. In episodes 5-8 this aspect of it did get a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete