Monday, January 3, 2011

Stubbed my Tow, by Rock

Because I had to work on New Year's Eve, 2.0 and I spent the evening together on the 30th. Just pizza and classic Mario on the Wii and the like at his place. We got to sleep in and I was going to give him a ride to meet his friend for lunch on my way to change for work.

My car was no where to be found. It had been towed. I had read a sign incorrectly, and now my car was in an impound lot on the bad side of town about a thirty minute car ride away. I got super stressed. I had just a-caused myself to lose a lot of money=, b-he was seeing me be stupid, c-I was making him late for lunch and possibly me late for work.

I calmed down to some degree as we formulated a plan. He offered to go with me to get the car right then, but I would have been super late for lunch. We grabbed a cab, with plans to take advantage of his car sharing program and pick up my car the following night.

In the cab he got on facebook on his phone and it kind of bothered me. I understood answering a text or even a facebook notification, and I realized that eventually we'd get to this level of comfortability and familiarity, but it bothered me that it happened now. And I noticed that the text he sent his friend he was meeting for lunch said "the guy I'm dating got his car towed" instead of "Rob" or "the boyfriend." This distinction hurt after I was wondering all day if I brought up this issue too soon. Also, when we pulled up to our stop, he asked me, "you got this?" Now never mind that I had my wallet out ready to pay and it was entirely my fault we had to take a cab (which I told him when I did, in fact, pay). As teenage girly as this is, I was going to have to spend $170 to get my car out of impound and another $40 for the car-sharing service to get there. It would have been the nicest $20 gesture ever for him to insist. Or so I thought.

NOW LET'S WORK OUR WAY THROUGH THE CRAZY AND SEE WHAT THIS IS REALLY ABOUT:

I was tired. I was stressed that my car had just gotten towed. I was very aware that he was seeing me have a bad day and I don't like people to see that side of me. There had been a change in energy between us, I think having sex for the first time and defining our relationship made us both a little nervous and cautious and relaxed all at the same time.

Luckily Doris called me out on all my shit. I realized where all of this was coming from. 2.0 was none the wiser.

Thank GOD. The next day he drove me to get my car and insisted that I was not going to pay the $40 for the car sharing service (glad I paid the $20). Then he took me to dinner and we went to Target for supplies to have a slumber party: we drank Hawaiian Punch, ate candy, played cards, and watched Saturday Night Live in our pajamas.

The next day after work I went to go pick up my car (I had left it there in a spot he had insisted was good) and my car had been towed again. I came up to his place where he was hanging out with a friend and he immediately insisted on paying for this one. After some haggling I agreed to let him, especially when his friend sided with him that it was definitely his fault. I told him I am now covering the car-sharing from the other day so I still have a little bit of pride.

But really this one was his fault. So I appreciate both of our wallets taking a hit instead of just mine.

The energy has changed and I am a little more aware of things that might become issues or hiccups. Sometimes I feel like I really can't get to know something until the sex is out of the way, like I just need to let that horny high school boy inside me get laid before I can settle down and really evaluate how this is working. The issue we will need to be aware of is that I have strong emotions and then process them logically and make decisions based on both. As far as I can tell, he processes things logically which influences his emotions and then he makes decisions based on both. We end up in the same place, but we have to both let each other complete the process before we're on the same page. If we can do that, we're golden. Especially since there hasn't even been anything close to a harsh word spoken between us yet.


1 comment:

  1. Oh Rock. I am ALWAYS happy to call you on your shit. I've been doing it since you were in high school and everyone thought our friendship was creepy.

    I still don't understand your Facebook phone distinction, but whatever. It's good you recognized your neuroses with 2.0 being none the wiser.

    2.0 is human. So are you. You had a bad day. You got through it. This bodes well for your relationship. :) It just happened sooner than you wanted it to.

    Keep on keepin' on, babe. He's a good 'un.

    Doris

    ReplyDelete