Sunday, January 9, 2011

Monthiversary, by Rock

Forgive me, Doris, and the three others that read our blog. I haven't really needed to update for a while because life happened the way it happens and I didn't get to see 2.0 for 4 whole days. He had a cold, I have a job with weird hours, it had been a bit. We joked about how we had both had a feeling of "this is way too long!" before realizing that we were being about as stupid as you could get. We both gave each other the official press release of "Life happens, I will see you when I see you, and you don't have to worry about me getting needy." Which was good. Absence makes the heart grown fonder, right?

I had suggested that we see a revival of a play that I love so so so much that was getting rave reviews (how I would love to bring up the play, because it would be interesting to talk about, but I don't want to give away our city). He had never seen it, wasn't familiar with it at all, so I told him to refrain from googling it, bought tickets, and we met up on Thursday night.

I was a bit worried at first, he wouldn't quite make eye contact and it just felt distant, until he admitted that work had been super busy and he was not letting go as easily as he would have liked. By the first intermission, everything was back to business as usual. In fact, there was an extra little spark there since we hadn't seen each other every other day like we had been doing.

When we got back to my place, I called him out on the fact that we had both had taken a step back and really evaluated things, even at the expense of intimacy, after we had the DTR (define the relationship talk) and had sex for the first time. He agreed. We talked about how it was necessary for both of us, and we were glad we both passed.

I had a little present for him. He loves Oprah (Every gay man has their cliche. For example, I like musicals. He likes Oprah and female vocalists.), and I had stumbled across an Oprah pen. Also, he had never tried coconut M&Ms, which is unacceptable so I bought him a pack.

Then I made him a mix CD. It was a somewhat romantic mix CD. I realized the possible freak-out potential and I did it anyway. It was like word vomit, except much more calculated as I actually sat down and made him a CD and loaded it with romantic songs.

The second he pulled out the CD (which I had titled "If We Are Acting Like 14-Year-Olds, I Have to Make You a Mix"), I issued the disclaimer that it was a romantic mix, but clearly we weren't at the level that most of these people were singing about. If he could not read into it and get freaked out, that would be great.

The next morning I made him coffee and sent him off to work. We were texting each other about Beverly Hills Housewives and how he was going to listen to the CD and write with his Oprah pen all day.

The CD started off (naturally) with Jenna from 30 Rock singing "Muffin Top." He sent a text that he loved the CD already from the first song.

And then I didn't hear about it again. Three possible occurances (That's a word, right? Spell check is telling me otherwise.):
1- He read into it.
2- We don't necessarily see eye-to-eye on music.
3- He got really busy at work.

Old Rock would have had an anxiety attack. New Rock relaxed and resisted looking crazy.

He worked all day, I worked all night, but the plan was for me to go over to his place and climb into bed with him after work, so we could wake up together and stupidly celebrate our "monthiversary."

(Tangent: You can't celebrate a 1 month anniversary or a 6 month anniversary. Anni- means year.)

When I had brought up spending the day together, I acknowledged the silliness of it, but the fact of the matter was, most guys didn't make it that far with me. He said that most guys didn't make it that far with him either, which I knew, but I thought it would be presumptuous to point it out.

So I did indeed climb into bed with him, we did indeed wake up in the morning to watch Beverly Hills Housewives (see above conversation about cliches), drink coffee, have sex, go get brunch and Bloody Marys (see above conversation about cliches), watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, play Mario for the Wii, and play cards.

I asked if he liked the mix CD, he said he did, but didn't offer anything more. But as we listened to his iTunes on shuffle later, I realized that while we both don't necessarily mind the same kinds of music, our favorites don't necessarily line up. For example, next month we are seeing a Josh Ritter concert (my treat) and a Robyn concert (his). We are both good sports, we'll both have a good time, but yeah. So I made the dorky mix, and the gesture was appreciated even if the music wasn't. I'm okay with that.

It was awesome. He was even more snuggly and romantic than usual.

I left for work, he started to get ready to have dinner with a friend, and I eventually got a text that he and his friend were waiting for me at a bar near my place. I told him that I wouldn't be leaving work for at least another hour, but I'd try (it was already late). An hour turned into two and they left. I felt a little badly at first, but it was his call to try and wait, not mine. I could sympathize without blaming myself. He suggested I come over and spend the night again, but in all honesty, I was tired and just wanted my own bed and needed to be productive this morning. Which was all good.

This lack of drama has to be ridiculously boring! I'm sorry! Stay tuned: we have to fight eventually, right?





4 comments:

  1. Nice to have you back, Rock!

    Yay for dorky mix CD's and coconut M&M's! Also, yay for not freaking out when he wasn't 100% into your music. It happens. And who knows, he could totally become a Josh Ritter convert after next month's concert. Part of the fun of relationships is discovering what the other person's into and maybe getting into it a little yourself.

    You're not boring at all--and any posts are appreciated. Angsty, happy, you name it. We love the three readers who love us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My big concern was that he read into some song selections. It's hard to make a fun, romantic CD that doesn't use the big L-word that isn't lesbian. But yeah, it's all good. Also our friends and us tend to get into mix CDs and talking about them a little more than other people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't keep us in suspense - post the track list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1- Muffin Top, Jane Krawkowski
    2- Home, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
    3- Walkin' Out Yo Girlfriend (Unk vs Avril Lavigne vs Toni Basil), Lobsterdust
    4- New York City, They Might Be Giants
    5- Lover, Devendra Banhart
    6- 1963, Rachael Yamagata
    7- Scar, Missy Higgins
    8- Be Gentle With Me, Boy Least Likely To
    9- Lay Me Down, The Frames
    10- Buildings and Bridges, Ani DiFranco
    11- The Temptation of Adam, Josh Ritter
    12- The Gambler, Fun.
    13- Question, Rhett Miller
    14- Fascination, Alphabeat
    15- Underneath Your Clothes, Kieran Goss
    16- The Way You Look Tonight, Fred Astaire
    17- Can't Help Falling in Love, Ingrid Michaelson

    Other than 13 and 17, I'm pretty sure they're all definitely acceptable for a first mix CD. They're all romantic in nature though.

    Did I do okay?

    ReplyDelete