Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Coffee Grindr (Groan), by Rock

So Grindr has pretty much become the bane of my existence. I have wasted countless hours chatting with guys that I will probably never meet.

One thing I do kind of like about it is that it simulates the bar scene. Based on one picture and 140 characters, I have to decide if I want to start a conversation or not. Maybe I will one day work up the courage to actually hit on someone in a bar.

The problem is, half of the guys on Grindr seem to only want to fool around somewhat anonymously (I've gone on the record as saying that internet hookups are like fast food: you crave it, you think you want it, you remember it being good. Then you go for it and you just feel kind of greasy and unfulfilled after.), and the other half just seem to want to chat. When I suggest coffee or something, they're not interested.

I did actually met someone off of Grindr for coffee yesterday. The conversation went moderately well, but I was confident there was nothing worth exploring. He was a nice enough guy, but it was apparent that we were just at two very different points in our lives. Not only that, but we had pretty different approaches to life. When we said good-bye, we said, "Nice to meet you," which is only said to cover up the fact that you're not saying, "We should do this again sometime."

BUT THEN. ONCE AGAIN. I get the text, "Hey it was nice to meet you. Should we grab a drink soon?"

Once again, a boy that I seem to have no connection with is pulling for something. And I'm unsure if I've closed myself off emotionally so much that I'm unwilling to see possibilities below perfection or if these guys are so desperate for something that they're willing to settle for "eh, maybe."

And I wavered for a minute, and then texted him that it was fun chatting, but I really didn't feel a spark.

Three future first dates in the process of being planned... stay tuned for more exciting adventures!

2 comments:

  1. I think there’s a happy medium. Sometimes a hookup is just a hookup, but it’s like a diet of fast food: you don’t want that to be all you consume because it’s not healthy. And just because you have an opportunity doesn’t mean it’s in your best interest to take it.

    I have never done an Internet hookup—though I haven’t ruled it out—but I was a little similarly frustrated with Midnight Cowboy and Winkie. Granted, they WERE going to meet me for coffee/drinks, but it was really implied that all they wanted was a booty call. Frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno. I have never had great sex with someone from the internet. I have had great sex with people that I hooked up with from a bar. I have had great sex with guys from the internet who I met for coffee first. I have never ever had great sex with someone who just came over to "hang out."

    I take that back. It happened once.

    ReplyDelete