Sunday, March 20, 2011

Good on Paper, by Doris

So I know Rock and I make it out to be like Excalibur was my one and only.

In reality, I have a few Evil Exes of my own. One who just won't go away.

Let's call him Good on Paper, or GOP.

I met GOP in my first year of grad school, when he lived down the hall from me. He was cute. Very sweet and funny. Bogged down with the same intense workload. Accessible, physically and emotionally.

I flirted. He flirted. Eventually we embarked on a very casual dating relationship.

And Excalibur got jealous.

Granted, Excalibur was my EX at the time. He didn't want to fully commit, and was in fact also seeing other people. However, he didn't like the idea of me with GOP. Even at the time, I knew how ridiculous this was, but I kind of enjoyed feeling so wanted.

Then I slept with Excalibur. I don't consider it cheating, as GOP and I were very, very casual--remember, we were in grad school and had a lot of other demands on our time. We were nowhere near having the exclusivity talk.

Nonetheless, I broke it off with GOP. I did this very immaturely, just sort of acted distant and mean until he got the hint. I wasn't in a good place in my life--that's not an excuse, but it's an explanation.

I felt guilty about this for years, and eventually apologized to GOP. We took very different career paths but have stayed in touch.

And I think he's still in love with me.

I had dinner with him a couple of years ago, and had to make it clear we weren't going to hook up. He wasn't pushy, but had communicated he was up for it. I used the excuse that I just didn't feel right about it because of other things going on in my life.

Lately, it's the little things that are adding up. I've gotten the occasional flirty drunk text. When I had a question requiring professional expertise I don't have, I posted it on Facebook. One friend messaged me. GOP called me. GOP's been commenting on a LOT of my status updates lately. Then, when I posted about being stressed, he sent me a message asking if I was okay.

All very nice, and could be construed as just being a good friend. I get that.

So I messaged back that I was fine, thank you for asking, and how are you?

Probably shouldn't have done that.

I get back a long message about how he's stressed too, but will be up for hugs and long walks on the beach in a few weeks ("just in case you are interested"). And then: "Can we get together when things slow down? If you say yes, I'll have plenty of motivation for the upcoming weeks."

If it were just one thing, I would take this as GOP being a good friend.

But everything added up? Yikes.

Here's the thing I've probably known for years but hit me like a ton of bricks when I got this message:

I wish I could like GOP. I really do. It would make everything so much easier, and he'd make a great boyfriend.

However, I just don't have those feelings. There is absolutely no zsa zsa zsu. I have a friend vibe with him that once upon a time I mistook for something romantic. If I'd felt romantic about him, at this time or ever, I would have done something about it. Back in grad school, Excalibur was the catalyst. He wasn't the whole reason. If I'd had strong enough feelings or saw enough potential in GOP, Excalibur wouldn't have been an issue.

I have a feeling GOP sees this as a timing issue. In grad school, I was overwhelmed academically and still hung up on my ex. A couple of years ago, I was dealing with other issues. Now, I'm happy and functional. I think GOP sees this as an opportunity to re-ignite.

In a romantic comedy, GOP would do borderline-stalker things to win me over and it would work.

In real life, I can't force the zsa zsa zsu.

So I'm thinking a reply is in order. I need to get across in the nicest way possible that I see him as a friend, and this will not change.

But how do I word it? Ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I recently had this conversation with a friend that still lives in my old neck of the woods. I feel like gay guys deal with the non-reciprocated friendship love more than straight people, because our society dictates that most of the time straight guys and straight girls are not friends, and gay guys are. I feel like this is changing some with our generation but still. End analysis of our society and get back to the advice.

    Usually the first step is to just laugh at it uncomfortably, not reciprocate, and trust that they will get the hint. Sometimes no means "try harder" to some people.

    It sounds like you might indeed need to mention something to him. I would go along the lines of "I know we had a connection for a bit in grad school, and though it didn't work out, I'm glad we've been able to continue our friendship. Some of your comments lately have me thinking that you're still hoping there's something there. Unfortunately, it just isn't there for me. Sorry to feel the need to articulate it, but it'll be easier for me to focus on our friendship if I know you're aware of this."

    That sounds really wordy, but something along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've done the "laugh uncomfortably and not reciprocate" thing, the last time I saw him. Again, I think he attributed it to "she's not in the right place, so I need to give her some time and then try again."

    I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts, hosted by three straight guys. On a recent episode they were talking about a common straight-guy tactic: if you like a girl, stick around long enough and she'll eventually go out with you. Don't be a stalker, but just be there and be nice and you'll wear her down! They were joking, but there's a lot of truth in it: I've known guys who have done this, and I think that's what GOP is doing now.

    Thanks for the wording ideas. It's a good place to start. :)

    ReplyDelete