Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Impure Thoughts, by Doris

So last night I went on a date, with a performance artist I'll call The Hair (because in his OKCupid profile, his hair was different in every picture). We went to a coffeehouse in the most hipster part of the city, where even I, perfectly hipster in my own neighborhood, feel like I've stepped out of the pages of The Preppy Handbook.

It was fun. We talked about trashy gay soap operas and he tried to convert me to Dr. Who. Not sure if I felt any real energy, but I'd be willing to go on a second date to find out. We'll see what happens.

Then today, I found out two of my friends broke up.

I'd been suspecting something was up: they suddenly decided not to move in together. Their Facebook profiles (yes, I'm just that nosy) no longer had "in a relationship," and he changed his profile pic from a photo of the two of them to one of just himself. She gave me a ride today and I asked, wanting to be supportive.

Sure enough, they are no longer.

I'm sad. I like them both a lot, and thought they had a really nice energy together.

If only the story ended there.


This is the couple.

Or rather, the former couple.

Now, before you're all "Doris you slut, you're not even thinking about going after this guy when you're friends with him and his ex-girlfriend, and you've actually been friends with the ex-girlfriend longer, you giant whorebag, wasn't making out with a married dude enough?"--hear me out.

I'm not even thinking about it.

Or rather, I AM, and I kind of hate myself for it.

I would never, ever, ever do something like that to a friend.

And the guy and I aren't right for each other. He is a boyfriend with a capital B, and also constantly has his head in the clouds. I'd alternately feel smothered and ignored.

I'd love to have a friend with benefits who was actually a friend, though. And it's so nice to think about not going on awkward first dates for a while.

Yes, it's crossing my mind. Even though I'd never take it beyond abstract thought, it's the goddamn pink elephant in the room and my self-loathing is at an all-time high. So much that I almost didn't blog about it, then I realized this is EXACTLY the thing I need to blog about.

I'm also guessing that since y'all kept reading after my dalliance with the Russian, you won't hate on me too much for just having thoughts about my friend's ex-boyfriend.

Arrrgh. Off to take a walk and clear my head.

2 comments:

  1. You're a straight female and attracted to a man. It's natural. It's okay to be attracted to somebody even if you have no intention of anything happening between the two of you. It sounds like you're on solid ground when it comes to realizing that it wouldn't work between the two of you and, because of that, you really don't need to worry about feeling guilty for being attracted to him. In this case, your friend (the ex-girlfriend) doesn't even need to play into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Debbie. In many cases with sex and relationships, I try to think, “What would Dan Savage say?” I think he would give me reassurance/advice like yours (with a few more F-bombs thrown in, because he’s Dan).

    It’s funny how I’m totally over it today. Just one of those silly little things.

    Rock and I have been very picky with IRL friends we tell about our blog. In this case, the ex-boyfriend loves my writing, and I think the ex-girlfriend would get a kick out of it. However, I can’t tell either of them because I wrote about the ex-boyfriend, plus the ex-girlfriend has been married, so I’m not sure how she’d feel about the Russian situation (like most people in my life, she knew about the Russian but not that he was married).

    ReplyDelete