Sunday, March 27, 2011

SWF Seeks FWB...I Think, by Doris

Like Rock, I was sick this past week. We had nonrefundable theatre tickets on Thursday night, which resulted in me holding my head and him painfully clearing his throat for the entire play. I am feeling better, though. And the play was very good.

In his sick post, Rock expressed a wish for an intimate relationship, where he can really let his guard down and allow someone to take care of him.

I too am seeking something steady, but not nearly as intimate.

Basically, I want a friend with benefits.

I think.

I'd really like something steady, but just fun. A step above booty call but below casual dating. Or is it considered casual dating if I also want to go to the movies or for coffee every once in a while?

It gets a little confusing.

You see, I am busy, both with work and with pursuing interests outside of work. At this point I don't have the schedule or the attention span for a full-on exclusive see-you-all-the-time deal.

I've done the FWB thing (and yes, I prefer "friends with benefits" to "fuckbuddy," Dan Savage be damned. I do think there is a difference). At its best, it was great: good sex, awesome conversation, and we always watched movies or something afterwards. It was never fuck and run.

At its worst, I felt used. He wanted to see me when HE wanted to see me. When I was busy or tired, he'd persist. Not in a rape-y way, but it got annoying. But it hardly ever worked out the other way around. Also, he sometimes didn't want me around his friends. That hurt.

Finally, when it ended, I didn't find out from him.

So here's what I'd like. I am writing it down and putting it out in the universe:
1. Steady and great sex.
2. Fun conversation.
3. Hanging out, sometimes in public. I don't have to meet all your friends, but I also don't want to be your dirty secret. This is 2011. There have been at least two mainstream movies about friends with benefits. There is nothing to be ashamed of.
4. On my terms too. If I want to hang out and you're busy, that's one thing, but I don't want the power trip of you always having to be the aggressor.
5. If and when it ends because one of us meets somebody or just gets tired of the other person, WE TALK ABOUT IT. At least a "hey, it's been great but I'm seeing someone else and I think it might get serious" text or email. Preferably a phone call. But don't just never contact me again. That is rude.
6. While we're on the subject, seeing other people is okay. Just always wrap it up, and don't text or call other girls when you're hanging out with me. I will extend you the same courtesy.
7. Also okay? Drunk booty calls. But not every damn time.

But how does one advertise for a FWB?

Maybe I'm weird, but I feel like this kind of thing almost has to be organic. Like someone you meet at a bar or through friends, where the energy is there but you don't want anything long-term. Or even someone you meet online, ditto. But it has to start as something else--a friendship or a date.

I think this would be easier if I were a guy. As a girl, though, I worry about expressing this on my OKC profile. It's like saying I want casual sex--I'm afraid I'll get messages from perverts or douchebags who see "friends with benefits" as a euphemism for "sleep with her once and disappear." Or even "wow, she'll sleep with me on the first date." No. I am a "coffee first" kinda gal. After all, even "fuckbuddy" has the term "buddy" in it. There has to be a measure of respect.

So what do y'all think? Should I include this in my profile? Or keep on the short-term dating train in hopes of meeting someone who fits my FWB criteria?




3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you know exactly what you're after. Awesome. And this type of setup shouldn't be too hard to find, especially as a female.
    You can add your above list to your profile, but bulleted lists are kind of annoying. So maybe shorten it down to saying something along the lines of: 'I'm looking for a friend first and foremost but I wouldn't be opposed to hooking up if there is a mutual attraction ;) I'm not looking for a one night stand but I don't have time for a boyfriend either.'
    It's simple and it conveys exactly what you want without using terms like fuck buddy or any of that lingo (which is cool but I wouldn't call my fuck buddy that to his face). Highlight your desire for a friend more than just sex and you should be able to weed out the hit and runs.
    P.S. Hope you and Rock feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think SomeXsBlue is on the right track. I also don't think it's a bad thing to call it a casual relationship in the profile, even though you don't necessarily like that verbage. "Pretty busy here, but wouldn't mind something casual where we could hang out and have fun when it worked out for both of us."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both of you. This is all very helpful. I think I will put it out there (your suggestions for wording are great). And really, it's beneficial to the guys looking at my profile--if they want a more long-term thing, they will know to look elsewhere.

    SomeXsBlue, we are feeling better. You are sweet!

    Rock, I'm okay with the word "relationship" as long as the right adjectives precede it. Friends with benefits is a relationship, just not a serious one. I'm coming around, see? :)

    ReplyDelete