Monday, March 14, 2011

Halfway Point: Worrying and Learning by Doris

When Rock and I agreed to start No Way, Cupid, I suggested we step back and evaluate three months into the six-month experiment. Granted, it's been a little more than three months, but self-analysis is never a bad thing, right?

Three months in, I am really, really trying to keep an open mind. For me, that is sometimes hard. Not that I'm a prejudiced person or anything, but I've been called "stubborn," "bullheaded" and the like more often than #winning has been trended on Twitter (by the way, we have a Twitter account. You should follow us!). I maintain that if I were a guy, my, um, strong personality would be less of an issue. However, I'm not only a girl but a girly-girl who likes to wear dresses and paint my nails. When I open my mouth, people are often in for a shock.

Before No Way, Cupid, I thought Ex-calibur and I were meant to be. I didn't always admit it, but deep in my heart I figured we would be together eventually. Now I know that will probably not happen. Believe me, for that realization alone this experiment has been worth it.

Back to the open-minded issue: I get worried I'm too picky.

I mean, I basically canceled a date Thursday night. My date Saturday canceled on me, but I'd kind of written him off anyway, so I was more relieved than anything else. Since I signed up on okcupid, I've rejected those who message me more often than not (sounds harsher than it actually is. By "rejected," I mean I don't message them back. I'm not mean or anything).

And cancellations aside, I enjoy being alone. If I am going to give up what little spare time I have, even for a coffee date, I need to at least like you a bit.

Then I worry I'm not picky enough. Neither guy I was going to go out with this week were real winners. I almost messaged a guy back last night (more about that later), but then I realized there were several factors that I could tolerate for a few dates, but would present big problems sooner or later.

I worry a lot. Can you tell?

But I think about the Russian, who I really did like even though he had a lot of faults and didn't end things well (or at all). I liked Straight Anthony Rapp and Rivers-a-like, the energy just wasn't there for me. So this gives me hope. I've just had a run of crappy luck lately, which if my online dating-veteran friends are to be believed, happens from time to time.

Here's the biggest thing I've learned so far, though:

I want a little bit more than casual sex.

I still don't want to get married. I still don't want kids. I still don't even want a relationship where someone's in my face, bed and life every day of the week. On the other side of the coin, I still don't have a problem with booty calls or one-night stands.

However, I'd like sex and spending time together out of bed to go hand in hand. I'd like a guy who doesn't use me and disappear (even if we are using each other). I'd like a give-and-take, even if it only lasts a few weeks. I'd like closure if and when the relationship ends.

Yes, I just used the word "relationship." Rock and I have had endless arguments about this word. Previously, I hated it because for me it connoted whining and angst and more work than play.

Now, I get it. The word can mean many things.

And a relationship, on my terms?

I wouldn't be opposed.

LEARNING.

5 comments:

  1. I WIN! I WIN! I WIN THE GREAT RELATIONSHIP DEBATE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, all the self analysis.
    But I hope you guys don't stop at 6 months. Keep going!! haha. It's entertaining to read. : )
    Are you going to seek out a 'friend w/ bennies' on OKC or are you going to look elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rock: it's good you're not rubbing it in or anything. :)

    SomeXsBlue, you are too sweet. I wouldn't be opposed to going longer than 6 months, but will have to talk to my cohort first. And as for the friends with benefits, I'm definitely not opposed to that type of relationship. However, the FWB and I would have to agree on the term--my last FWB translated to him calling me when HE felt like it but not the other way around. I don't want that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new to this blog this week (saw it on Unpro's site recently) and I can't tell you what perfect timing it is! I am working backwards from the beginning so I am still in January's blogs, but as a newly single girl I can't tell you how nice it is to get lost in other people's dating stories! I am excited to continue to read how things have gone over the past few months but I wanted to comment on the newest blog since i don't know if you get comments from old posts... anyways, thanks for letting us snoop into your lives, its the perfect distraction :) Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Annemarie! Glad you're enjoying it! Feel free to comment on any of the posts: there's a way for us to check all new comments regardless of what post they were left on. But so happy you're having a good time! Can't wait to hear more from you!
    -Rock

    ReplyDelete