Monday, January 17, 2011

He has an evil ex as well, by Rock

First of all, Doris is on vacation with her family. She is alive and well, she drunk dialed me at 4:30a last night, but that explains her lack of updates. Hopefully she has found at least one guy to stick her tongue down while out on the town with her sister.

This weekend was an interesting one for me. If I was not at work, I was with 2.0. A lot of it was sleeping. I also did an IKEA run with him since I have a car and he doesn't. We had a fun date night. It's all been really good. It's definitely transitioned from "dating" to a "relationship." It's implicit that we want to see each other when we can, and when I'm surprised that after the IKEA trip he wants to buy me lunch and then even more surprised when he wants to take a nap with me before I go to work, maybe I shouldn't be anymore. Maybe I should give him the gift of respecting his feelings for me.

For a hot second I was trying to push a little too much affection. A lot of his stories about boys in the past end with "and then I decided we would work better as friends." I decided to get all nervous that we were headed in that direction, but then I calmed the fuck down. If that happens, it'll happen. It'll have nothing to do with the fact that it's happened before. I've made that realization with plenty of guys before as well. I realized how nice it feels to have fallen in this relationship zone and it feels good. That's enough comfort.

Last night I was at work and he texted me to ask when I would be done. I immediately knew that something was wrong. I thought it was awesome that I knew it wasn't about me or "us" at all, but something external. I said I was at work for a while, but asked if everything was okay. He said that it was, and we said our good nights.

We talked today to catch up and he brought up what was going on. Apparently an ex and his ex's mother are going to be in town and his ex wants the three of them to have dinner. This is his big one, the one that broke his heart and got away. His equivalent of EE#5, except his might have been a bigger douchebag about it. Anyway, he wanted to make sure it was okay and kind of talk it out. He wasn't even sure he wanted to see him. His ex knew about me of course. They had a buffer since his ex's mom was going to be there...

I am happy to report that I handled this like an AMAZING boyfriend. I told him I was fully supportive of whatever was best for him. I talked about the closure I felt after a lunch with EE#5. I told him of course trust wasn't even an issue and I knew he was happy with me. I made it sound like not a big deal at all (which it really isn't), as far as I was concerned, that he should do what was best for him: he was under no obligation to have dinner if he didn't want to, but if he thought it would be beneficial for him, then he should definitely do it.

The fact that he was even "asking" permission showed me that there were some residual feelings (He's friends with a few other exes, and has never asked permission to hang out with them. He's just seeing his friend. I'm never worried.). There's no way of asking if these feelings are of love or anger. I'm sure it's a combination of both. He admitted that if he goes (which it looks like he will), that it'll be because he's looking for closure. Which I hope he gets.

I'll be a little nervous on Wednesday, but it'll be for him, not for us. We're solid.

I'm sandwiching his Wednesday night with his Evil Ex with Tuesday and Thursday plans with me. Remind him how great he's got it now. Sometimes passive aggressiveness can be used for good!

But in all seriousness, it's almost nice to see him a little shaky about something. It reminds me that he's human, and it makes him all the more endearing.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, you handled this like a grown-up!

    I always like when a boyfriend/crush/dateperson shows they're human. That way I know they're not a zombie. (Just kidding. Seriously, sometimes you do want to see someone's vulnerable side, especially someone like 2.0 who comes across as very confident 99.9% of the time. It means the person is letting you in.)

    ReplyDelete