Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Drunken Review, by Rock

Here's a little experiment. Here's my retelling of my date tonight that I wrote while still drunk instead of the next morning after I've had time to reflect.

So this guy actually contacted me on OKCupid which is a rarity. Usually the people that I end up seeing are people I've first contacted. The ones that contact me are fat and/or ugly and/or old. Sorry to past commenters on this blog: fat and ugly and old don't do it for me.

This guy was in med school, had kind of a goofy smile, and was fun to talk to. He may have even been the first to suggest we hang out, which is really nice.

Since he is in med school, we will call him Scrubs.

He called me to make plans and got my voice mail. I called him back and got his voice mail as well. Instead of a clear concise voice mail, I rambled on for a minute and change about the siren in the background, how distracted I was, and an apology for the length and obnoxiousness of the voice mail. His return voice mail commented on my "stellar voice mail" and how it was okay I must be new to them.

He was already poking fun at me. Color me intrigued.

Where does that turn of phrase come from? Color me __________. It's kind of odd.

Anyways, it turns out he lives very close to where I work, so we agreed to meet for a drink when I got off tonight.

Aside from his goofy smile, he's your very typical upper-middle class suburban kid. Like the majority of guys I date he came out late in life. I don't know why this is a recurring pattern, but this kid has never had a real relationship which is a real red flag. He don't go out to gay bars a whole lot, most of his friends are straight. Been there, done that before (hello boy that broke my heart, not sure what EE number you are cause I'm drunk). He's pretty generic looking, which I seem to really like (fuck Angel and Spike, I was always all about Riley).

But he was charming and fun and I was smitten.

I wasn't sure if he was. We talked a lot about how attractive Darren Criss is. My efforts to entangle our legs didn't work out great. I think he's a little clueless about how things go.

Which could be great. 2.0 had such a stupid schedule of how things happen and what could happen and blah blah blah. I dunno, it could also be awful.

We couldn't stay out too late: he still had to finish up some homework. We walked as far as we could go together and then both went in for a nice first kiss. He said he was sure he would talk to me soon, I said I was sure he was right.

We texted a good night.

This could be fun.

However, I also have a first date with a dental student later this week. Also from OKCupid, I spoke to him on the phone for the first time this evening and there seems to be something there as well.

It's really nice though to finally be excited about some potential again. I was so disillusioned with the concept of love after 2.0 that it's really nice to think that it could possibly happen. Even if not with one of these guys, that it may be in my future. I was doubting it for a while.

Let's see how I handle this.


6 comments:

  1. there is nothing better than getting that spark of hope back :) Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from your use of "don't" instead of "doesn't," this was a very articulate drunk post. Well done!

    I feel like I can say it now: when it came to a lot of things, 2.0 had a stick up his ass.

    It's funny how your date this week was with a clean-cut med student and mine was with a cheesemonger/performance artist in purple pants. We definitely have our types.

    Here's hoping there's a fun second date, and first date #2 this week goes well!

    --Doris

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're totally right, Annemarie. :)

    Hahaha 2.0 totally had a stick up his ass. He was trying to protect himself and I was okay with it, but it was a little limiting. But yes, I am probably better off without him.

    Ugh, I didn't know he wore purple pants. I am so turned off for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like 2.0 would have had a stick up his ass with or without the relationship baggage. We all have ex issues. If you're dating someone, you have to open up a little bit, or else you shouldn't be dating. But that's neither here nor there, since you are definitely better off without him!

    I dunno, I liked the purple pants. :) I don't think I'll reach out to him, but if he asks me on a second date I'll go.

    And one more thing: it's good to know I'm not the only one who gets messaged by old, unattractive dudes on OKC. Like you, I very rarely message back a guy who messages me first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe think of 2.0 as the first step to figuring out what it is you're really after. There are things you enjoyed with/about 2.0 and things that you didn't. That's normal enough. There were differences that got in the way of things working out for you two, and that's all. The situation allowed you to get closer to where you want to be, while giving you the opportunity to refine your tastes a bit more. The fact that you're taking the things you learned from your time with 2.0 and applying it to the now shows that the experience was worthwhile.

    p.s. I am very impressed with your ability to write coherently while drunk. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I am just as guilty as most men of deciding I want to be in a relationship so being in one with the next person that kind of feels right. That's definitely what happened with 2.0. Glad to be moving on!

    ReplyDelete