Sunday, March 13, 2011

Whatever Winkie, by Doris

So Winkie and I were supposed to go out last night. It had been rescheduled from last week for various reasons, and we were going to meet for coffee at seven.

Now, Friday night I texted him and asked if we could meet at eight instead.

His response?

"Haha, sure. You'll have to just make it up to me, I guess. ;P"

Ugh.

If you recall, this isn't the first weird insinuation we're going to hook up even though, you know, WE HAVEN'T EVEN MET YET. This is coffee, dude, not AdultFriendFinder. I need to see you and talk to you first. Especially since your photos show you at two very different weights.

Maybe he was trying to be funny and it just came off awkward, as written communications sometimes do. Maybe he genuinely believes he got game.

Either way, I don't think I'm going to find out.

Why?

Because last night, not one hour before we were supposed to meet (thank the flying spaghetti monster the place was in my neighborhood, otherwise I might have been on my way), I get the following text:

"Hey, I'm gonna have to bail on tonight. I've been drinking since 10 this morning and would want to make a non dunk first impression." [sic]

Really, Winkie? REALLY?

Yes, I get that yesterday was the Saturday before St. Patrick's Day, which tends to get a little crazy. As someone who has happily gotten wasted at noon during Pride festivities, I probably can't judge.

However:

1) We've had this date scheduled for over a week (two if you count before we rescheduled). If you knew you were going out with your friends, why'd you ask to meet me on Saturday (a day that, after all, was your idea)? If it just came up, why didn't you either cancel early or, I don't know, PACE YOURSELF during the day? You're in your mid-twenties, dude. By then, most people know how much liquor they can handle.

2) So YOU were one of the idiots screaming outside my window, clogging up foot traffic, puking on the sidewalk and causing the ambulances to run overtime yesterday. (Sorry, I'm just a grouch like that about pre-St. Patrick's Day. I just don't see the point. At least with Pride you're celebrating in the company of funny and happy gay men, not icky bloated red-faced douchetards.)

3) I don't think it would have worked anyway. See 2). You are a pre-St. Patrick's Day person. I am not.

What did I do with my sudden free hour (because, unbeknownst to Winkie, I had a commitment later that night, so a hookup most likely wouldn't have happened even if I were attracted)?

I put on a fabulous new hat and took myself out for coffee at a really cool local place. What can I say? Sometimes it's nice to just be alone.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! We are good friends and I am totally a St. Patrick's Day (Observed) kind of person! If I hadn't worked all day, I totally would have been out! Made up for it yesterday playing beer pong and drinking green beer! And it was Miller Lite which is the piss of Satan, but I still went for the green beer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That being said, he sounds awful for other reasons. But who hasn't gotten drunker than they planned at one time or another?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rock,

    1) Touche on the St. Patrick's Day thing. Plus, I've gotten wasted outdoors midday at Pride, so I really can't judge.

    2) It's not the "I got drunk" thing necessarily. Like you said, it happens. What bothered me is a) St. Patrick's Day Observed is a day when people PLAN to get shit-faced--as opposed to "I found myself out on dollar drink night and here we are." I would have had no problem going out on a different day, but Saturday was HIS idea. Plus, b) He canceled less than an hour before, which is rude drunk or sober. Even though the place was in my neighborhood, I could have been en route from somewhere else.

    Shut it down. Oh wait, he already did!

    ReplyDelete