Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Oh I Don't Think Straight With Nothing to Prove, by Doris

So here's the part where (The) Rock and me set goals for each other.

*yoga breath*

Here goes:

Let me say first that I adore Rock.  He is my tall handsome gay.  And more than anything, from the second he told me he liked boys on the way to play rehearsal (because we are all about the cliches), I've just wanted him to be happy.

With that in mind:

I think Rock's standards are at once too low and too high.

He alluded to it in his last post, but let me tell you how I see it.

The way Rock approaches life is full speed ahead.  He wants something, by God he'll work his ass off to get it.  He was valedictorian.  He moved thousands of miles away to pursue a dream, then moved back not because he gave up, but because he wanted a different life. 

This dogged balls-to-the-wall approach (and a healthy dose of oldest-child-overachiever syndrome) is something we share, and a large part of why we've been friends so long.

I just wish he wouldn't apply it to relationships.

Rock wants to settle down.  In pursuit of this goal, he's done an awful lot of settling.  Not that it's always a bad thing: his relationships have made him who he is, and he's met some cool people.  But from what I've seen, he either settles for someone far less than he's happy with, or he settles for an unequal relationship with someone he loves with all his heart and thinks is "the one."  He's determined to make it work, dammit.

To Rock, I say this:

RELAX.

As he's admitted himself, the boy is A-OK with dating.  He's a great boyfriend.  He has no problem meeting people.  However, I want him to go with the flow at least once in the next six months.  To just have fun with a boy without trying to slap a label and/or permanence on it.  To maybe, just maybe, have a fling: something not intense and without an ultimatum or expiration date.  Not a one-night stand, but an ongoing deal where the goal is just to enjoy.

Because I have no doubt he WILL find the mythical One.

He just doesn't need to find him in the next thirty minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment