Monday, December 6, 2010

My first real blog post since Live Journal, by Rock

About Me:

It's not hard for me to find a date. Not to sound like an asshole, but facts are facts. I'm a pretty good-looking and somewhat charming gay man in his mid-twenties in a large metropolitan area. If I want to go on a date this Saturday, I can find someone online or in a bar that will want to go out this Saturday.

Some people dread first dates; I love them. I love the excitement, the nervousness, the getting-to-know-you's, the “so what was your high school like?”s.

Yet for all the dates I go on, relationships don't happen very often. And when they do, it's often a rocky road getting there. I'm great on a first date. I'm a great boyfriend. That month or so in between where you know there's a connection but you're still getting to know someone without showing all your cards? That's pretty rough for me.

And the relationships that have happened? There's only been one where I honestly thought I could spend the rest of my life with him. Even the guy I lived with during college, I was pretty sure that wasn't going to be “forever.” Rest assured that the one I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life with completely broke my heart. But lesson learned. Don't date college students when you're looking long-term. Especially college students about to leave to study abroad for a semester.

Another thing you should know: I went to college in this wonderful city I live in, but I've spent the past three years somewhere else. Didn't really feel at home there, so now I'm back in a place that I love. I have a few friends left over from college, but I'm also in the process of building a new life and forming a new social group. So that'll be fun.

What I'm Looking For:

I think my friends would all agree I tend to date down, at least for the first few dates before I realize that I can probably do better and have to have the awkward “I think we're a good match, but not a perfect match” talk. So my goal for this experiment is to break that pattern. I want to learn how to say after the first date, “I'm flattered, but I just wasn't feeling it.” I also want to learn to be okay being rejected by this theorized “better catch” that I'm seeking. I'd rather not make it to date #2 with a 10 then make it to date #4 with an 6. That makes sense, right?

But I'm looking for someone with drive and ambition. Someone that doesn't have to be at a gay bar to have a good time, but also doesn't have a vendetta against gay bars. Someone who reads books and watches television. Someone who goes to baseball games and musicals.

I'm looking for Daddy material. I want to settle down. I want kids eventually.

I'm looking for my Amazing Race partner. Shouldn't be too hard to find, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment