Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Safety Dance, by Doris

So The Hair and I are scheduled to go out tomorrow night, have a glass of wine and maybe see a movie. Between working long hours (with more to come this weekend!) and preparing to move apartments, I am suspecting a glass or two of wine may be all I can handle. We'll see. I'd be very surprised if a third date comes of this--he's really nice, but I just can't get all that excited--but I am trying to keep an open mind.

I'm also messaging with a guy I'll call Wings because he and I both enjoy eating wings. The messages are very looong so I'm hoping we'll meet up soon.

And in the meantime...


Let's call him Jim Berger. Jim as in Jim and Pam from The Office, because he works with me (though not in the same department). Berger as in Jack Berger from Sex and the City, because he is a writer (though to my knowledge, he has not dumped anyone via Post-It).

Can you tell Rock and I like TV?

So he's a quiet guy, laid-back, sweet. I've known him for several years but have gotten to know him better in the past year when we worked on a couple of projects together and he started dating my friend (also a coworker). We're both writers, like the theatre and movies, have stuff in common.

He's always been very complimentary of my writing--not this blog, which he doesn't know exists, but some of my other stuff on the Web. And he's an excellent writer and has a nice little freelance career going, so I value those compliments. He's said my writing style makes him want to improve his own, which, WOW. He's also trying to help me score some freelance gigs of my own, which is really nice considering how competitive the market can be.

And lately...there's been this energy between us.

Nothing too drastic. Just more chatting, some Facebook messaging, emails back and forth. Shy smiles. That sort of thing. Just a wee bit more than friendly.

I'm not delusional. I don't think this is going to lead to anything. I think we are both stressed out about various life-y things right now, and feel comfortable with each other.

And sometimes that's enough.

Energy manifests in different ways. I mean, Rock and I had energy from day one. Not a romantic energy, but it led to a friendship going on eleven years. Having energy with someone doesn't mean you're going to sleep with them. Or that you even want to. (Okay, I wouldn't be opposed in this case. But anyway...)

I'm not going to stop dating people or pine away for this dude. But I'm going to enjoy what we've got.

'Cause I don't know what Jim Berger's opinion is, but I think this is damn nice.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the energy. You know girl code though. He's off limits.

    (I think girl code is silly, but there is no denying it exists.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was just thinking about girl code the other day. As in so many things, Dan Savage is kind of converting me: a lot of it is silly. We're not in high school anymore. People meet under all sorts of circumstances. That doesn't make it okay to fuck your friend's boyfriend, but but it's absurd to think someone owns a guy if they dated for a few months and then broke up.

    NOT THAT ANY OF THIS APPLIES HERE. Just in general.

    (And weirdly enough, as I type this, another email from him appears.)

    As I said in the post, however, I think we both know nothing will come out of it, and that's what makes it comfortable and okay. If the stakes were higher, I'd probably avoid him if that makes sense. And the old Doris may have been satisfied with this flirtation/whatever it is, but the new Doris is out there and dating. Progress!

    ReplyDelete