Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Sooner or Later It Comes Down to Fate, by Doris

So I have a date on Thursday.

Rivers-a-like of the suburban address and the occasional affinity for top 40 music (which we initially bonded over, I HATE the hipsters that blindly denigrate good pop songs, ditto for hipsters that declare Saturday Night Live hasn't been funny since the Carvey years) is going to be in my neighborhood to see a concert. As I wanted to have some sort of date before the year ended - and I'm not touching New Year's Eve with a ten-foot pole, WORST time for a first date ever - we have decided to have drinks before the show.

I think this is good for several reasons. Rock usually advises against drinks on the first date (a rule that he admittedly has broken many times), but in my case there's a timeline. Only so much alcohol you can pound in an hour/90 minutes or so. Plus, we're going to a really lovely cafe/bar type place, aaaaand I have a cool new outfit which includes a gorgeous lace skirt I got on the Target clearance rack for $8.50!

So even if the date sucks, I will look very pretty.

It's funny, I think my family (while home at Christmas, I tried to just tell my sister, but my mom overheard) and friends (my two closest work pals, who helped me pick out the cafe/bar) are more excited about this than I am. Quite frankly, my expectations aren't that high.

As I've said before, I'm not terribly keen to date someone who doesn't live in the city. Should this work out, I'm keeping my OKCupid profile and pursuing other dudes. Rock and 2.0 are emotionally involved now, and good for them. I'm interested to see this relationship unfold, and I really hope it works out as I like 2.0.

However, I was emotionally involved with Excalibur for fourteen years, up until just a couple of months ago. My family still hates him--I can tell by the way they very deliberately did NOT say his name this weekend. I don't hate Excalibur. He didn't do anything wrong.

But I don't want to jump into another big thing right away. My heart needs a little rest. My mind needs a little fun.

And my body could use a little something else. Don't know if we'll get to that on Thursday. After all, Rivers-a-like has a concert to go to.


2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your date! I'm happy to hear that you've found someone nice on Okcupid. And I think that going out for drinks sounds fine, especially since he's going somewhere else afterwards. It doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing that he lives outside the city, since a lot of people commute from the suburbs for work and school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, NW! I've actually found a few nice people on OKCupid, which is cool, but the holidays have made it hard to schedule dates. I'm surprised I'm getting in anything at all before January.

    Yeah, apparently he is frequently in the city on weekends and sometimes during the week. He is also aware that I don't have a car. So should this work out, the onus would be on him to come see me most of the time (also, there's far more to do in the city than in the burbs).

    I guess the only thing I'm leery about is that plans would need to be made pretty far in advance with this one. It wouldn't be as easy to just pop out for coffee if we felt like it. However, I tend to make plans way in advance even with my best friends who live in my neighborhood because we all get so busy. So I should probably keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete